Surprising to some, Roblox has actually had VR capabilities on the platform for quite a while. Though when compared to the number of Xbox, mobile, and standard PC users that play Roblox, the number of users who access the platform through VR is much smaller—it still stands well above zero. So with this noted compatibility, does that mean that Roblox is accessible through the Oculus/Meta Quest 2?
Can I play Roblox on the Oculus/Meta Quest 2?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question isn’t as straightforward as we’d like—for the time being. While Roblox is technically accessible on the Quest 2, it’s not in the way that most people hope. The Roblox app is nonexistent on the Oculus’s digital store at the time of this article’s publication, so instead, players will need to stream the Roblox website from their computer to their Quest 2 for the time being.
This process isn’t too difficult, but it does require completing a few steps:
- Access the Oculus Quest startup page and download the Oculus Desktop App
- Once downloaded and installed, open the app and locate the Devices tab from the menu on the left
- From the new menu that appears, select Add Headset and then Quest 2
- You will then be prompted to connect your Oculus Quest Link Cable from your headset to your PC—do so and click Continue
- Click Close on the setup complete page
- Put on your Quest 2 headset
- You should see a pop-up window that says Enable Oculus Link, click Enable
- Return to the Oculus app on your PC and click Settings from the same menu where you clicked Devices
- From the new menu, click General
- Locate the switch to turn on Unknown Sources and click it
- Head to Roblox.com and select any VR experience that you’d like to play
- Place your headset back on and enjoy!
Related: Best Roblox VR Games
When is Roblox actually coming to the Oculus/Meta Quest 2?
In the coming weeks, Roblox will be hosting an Open Beta for said Meta Quest compatibility, which will allow developers to receive relevant feedback from players who join their VR experiences. In the official DevForum post announcing the plan, the following was stated: “The Open Beta on App Lab is a vital time for our developers to experiment, learn, and iterate on their VR experiences before Roblox is ready for full release on the Meta Quest Store. Please note, the Open Beta will only support Meta Quest 2 and Meta Quest Pro devices.”
A specific release date for the beta is unknown at the time of this article’s publication, but with the Meta Quest 3 coming out in Fall 2023, I would assume it’ll open up soon. Before you get too excited, however, I want to reiterate that this beta is only for developers who own a Meta Quest 2 or Meta Quest Pro device; it is not for players.
That’s it for this quick guide on the status of Roblox and the Oculus/Meta Quest 2. When the compatible Roblox app receives a release date and/or opens to the public, I will update this guide accordingly and include all relevant information.
Looking for more Roblox content? Check back with the Roblox section of Pro Game Guides often for new updates including news articles, code lists, and guides like this one!